Thursday, May 14, 2009

A different angle on it

SO, I might change my mind again. But only slightly.

While I was writing my pitch to guide my presentation in class tonight, I started considering developing the game from the farmer's perspective. I originally dismissed the idea, but am now reconsidering.

As I was writing, I started thinking - although it might be effectively a an invading/swarming, like so many others already out there, having a farmer with a vacuum cleaner might work! and that would certainly be original. You could try to keep your trees alive before the bugs drained them. Or try to have some fruit yield at the end of time-up (each season?) and you would have to get X number of fruit/crop yield to advance to different levels. You might also use different weapons, vacuum cleaner, bug spray or spiders etc, each effective in different ways, and you could earn different ones at different stages? by earning X number of points? I do like these sort of arcade type of games. Plus you would still be learning about pest control and issues farmers face (e.g. using pesticide might work but 20% of your crop is inedible?). If you get sprayed by a stink bug, you go blind or become immobile for X seconds while they invade your trees?

I think that could be a fun idea. I was just playing * (a GameMaker game I downloaded from www.gamemakergames.com) and the falling orbs reminded me of being attacked by a swarm (could have been anything from bees to spaceships) and I thought - I DO enjoy that game play, and it might be simple enough to make. If it's that simple, I can offer both options - play from the POV of the bug or the farmer. Am I getting carried away?

No comments:

Post a Comment